View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I think the story that goes along with this card is a little interesting. I won an ebay lot of 25 T206 cards for $375 back in the early days, a couple HOF'ers, nothing too big though, paid what I thought was market value. The auction had no back scans, so when I got this card, I wasn't expecting it. At the time, my dad was actually mad, he saw the lot first and said they should have said something about this card being miscut like that. I didn't know if it had any value(It was around 1999) but I thought it was cool and had no intentions of selling it, but wanted to know about the value.

I asked T206museum and they said that it added no value to the card, but offered me "$30-40" for it, just because it was neat. I then went on the mastronet board(anyone else remember that?) and asked about value. I got offers right away for $400, $700, $800 and two that would top any other offers. Quite a difference from a neat miscut with no added value.

Two years later, someone on ebay, John Billingsley, not sure if he is still around, found a group of them in an old collection. I didn't know it was a group, but offered $600 for the one he told me about. He listed it on ebay anyway, I won it for $601. So he wrote me and said he had two others I could have for the same price. $1800 total.

So for this group, I paid $1815, but at the beginning, didn't know what I had, was extremely low-balled by t206museum and ended up with four cards that I can piece together and they make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Thanks to the original ebay seller for not posting back scans and John Billingsley, wherever you are, for selling me the rest. I made a fair offer and ended up with the other cards. I said $600 and thought it was fair, because the original is a HOF'er(Davis), the other(condition unknown to me at the time) was a common.

The original one is the bottom left, though it is technically the top right one, because this scan is upside down to show detail better
The cards look great, but can you show us the fronts?
By the way, the part about your dad reminds me of thr time I bought a T206 Unglaub without any name on it. When I showed it to my step-mom and pointed out the missing name, she said "Are you going to return it?"
And while I'm babbling on, is it pronounced "un-glob" or "oon-glob".