Thread: May Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I was very excited about winning this cabinet photo - you can see by the 'before' photo that it's pretty cool. 11x14, lots of cool pillbox hats.

Unfortunately, the cabinet was placed in a huge bubble-mailer with 1 piece of a priority mail box laying on top of it, then shipped Parcel Post.

It didn't have a chance...
I am always amazed by how many sellers seem to think that bubble mailers form an impenetrable, indestructible barrier around the item once they are sealed, and that writing "Do Not Bend" on the outside is akin to casting a ward of protection around it. "Now NOTHING can happen to this fragile (fill in name of rare and irreplaceable collectible)!"

When I remember to, I send the follow-up messages with packing instructions, leading off with "This probably goes without saying, but just in case, here's how this should be packed:" And on a number of occasions, I've actually gotten a response to the effect of, "Oh, well I usually just pack everything in bubble mailers," or "If you want it packed that way, I'll have to charge you extra for shipping," at which point I pony up the additional shipping cost and pray that the idiot doesn't still manage to screw it up.

And when I don't remember to send packing instructions, that's usually when I get a sharp reminder why I started doing that in the first place...

Anyway, nice photo, and good luck with the repair work, Scott.