View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Me, I'll stick to reading the posts here on Net54. That's where Pete gets most of the meat at the heart of his stories anyway, and personally, I prefer my meat without that sloppy gravy of heavily spun slander applied to it.
Last year I visited the Bob Feller museum and saw Feller's Babe Ruth day bat. Seeing as it came from Halper I questioned the story behind it. I posed the question to this board and only heard crickets. I then posed the question to Nash. Here is what he said (I assume Nash won't mind me repeating this):

"I asked all the same questions you had in regard to the Feller bat and considering Halpers track record was very skeptical. I include my research on this bat in the book, which surprisingly reveals that the bat appears to be authentic. I was able to track down some hi res photos of Ruth using the BST as a cane and was able to match the grain of the bat in the photo with the bat in the museum.

I will email you some of the photos when I get a chance after thanksgiving."

and then a follow up:

"In addition, it does look like Robinson's [Eddie Robinson, the man who claims to have retrieved the bat after Ruth set it down] story checked out and he actually stood by the story which was repeated by a few of his relatives.

I must say I was surprised things checked out but relieved that Fellers. Museum hadn't been defrauded."

For those of you who think he is only out to bury Halper, here he supports Halper.

Nash deserves far more credit than many on this board are willing to give him. You can't change the past. If he could, maybe he would. Got to think others in this hobby who got caught with their hand in the cookie jar would like to change the past as well. However, in the present Nash is an advocate of cleaning up the hobby which makes him ok in my book.