View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Default Awesome Estate Sale Pickup -- Charlie Sheen's Bat from "Eight Men Out"

Super stoked about this pickup and felt the need to share it with you guys. Today I was at a moving sale of actor D.B. Sweeney (Shoeless Joe in Eight Men Out) and while I was too late to get the screen-worn Shoeless Joe replica road jersey (which went for $900), I think I got something just as cool for a fraction of the price.

It's the bat that Charlie Sheen used as Hap Felsch in the movie! It's definitely a replica--they took a Louisville Slugger H119 and stained it to a Black Betsy-like color--and they stamped the Hillerich & Son logo and Hap Felsch name on the barrel. (I doubt there was attention to detail like this in "42".)

I got Mr. Sweeney to sign a letter of authenticity, plus he signed an Eight Men Out poster to me. I also got a picture of me, him and the bat.

There have been two Eight Men Out jerseys sold--one at Robert Edward Auctions for $5k, and Sweeney's home Jackson jersey went for $1200 at Legendary some years ago. There has never been an Eight Men Out bat at auction. The only three I know of are in a display at Cooperstown. And none of them belonged to someone this certifiable!

Not for sale as of now since I'm going to get it framed with the poster and give it a prime spot in the man cave for a couple years.

I haven't taken photos yet but it's definitely the bat from this card: