View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
"He" didn't allow anything to enter the marketplace. PSA did that when they graded them.
I 100% agree with this, it is on PSA to fix this problem, I emailed Joe Orlando with a link to the auction lots in question. None-the-less, it is up to the consignor, consignee, bidders and us to help keep these bad cards off the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Jason, what we have here is differences of opinion between PSA and REA/consignor (whom I tend to agree with). What do you expect to happen here? Do you believe the consignor should send them back to PSA for re-evaluation? Ok, but what if PSA sticks by their opinion? What if they say the cards are fine? Then what is the consignor supposed to do? And who's to say that wasn't already done?

Personally, I don't think this is a simple "difference in opinion". I have been tracking a lot of these older flips for a while. There were several dozen (probably more) high grade, trimmed cards that got past PSA and entered the market. I haven't seen too many newer flips with this isue - I would like to believe that whatever was causing this (a problem grader, a lenient environment or lack of knowledge) was fixed. Hopefully if these cards were re-evaluated by PSA they would be slabbed "authentic".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Everyone doesn't "know" this. So, what SHOULD REA have done with the cards? Please explain what REA (legally) could have done to PROHIBIT these cards from entering the market.
I think they should have declined the consignment.

Or, I think they should have sent the cards in to be re-evaluated. I have consigned plenty of items to these auction houses and whenever I have a group of nicer raw cards they always foot the bill to have them graded for me. There is potentially $20,000+ in trimmed cards here - around $4,000 in buyer's premiums alone. I think that it is negligent to not have them checked out before listing. It would've cost them less than $200 and IF they came back okay from PSA, then include the disclaimer and tell people you had them reevaluated and viola! you bring in more money and you make back your $200.

Last edited by jhs5120; 04-15-2013 at 11:53 AM.