View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I think I'll start a museum and then you can send me all your items.

Question: What happens to items in a museum if it closes ?
It depends.

Many museums are just a very nicely housed collection. When those close everything gets sold. Others are partly publicly owned and those seldom close, but do sell off things on occasion.

Some find ways to survive in a different form

Higgins Armory in Worcester, Ma is closing due to a lack of funds. Sad because it's probably the best collection of medeival armor in the US maybe in all of the americas. And it's housed in a really great building that is similar to an old castle. But the collection will be moving to the Worcester library where it will eventually be completely on display again.

Harrahs in vegas had a HUGE car collection. When Harrah died everyone was surprised he hadn't left anything in his will to support the museum. The staff trimmed the collection and essentially closed the in house reatoration shop. (Who really needs 3 nearly identical Dusenburgs? Or 100+ model As in various states of disrepair?) The auction took years, and supplied enough funds to keep the place open for years.

The Pedaling history cycling museum has closed and basically everything is being auctioned in three auctions. Part 2 Is coming up very soon.

Steve B