Thread: Why autographs?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
How long did it take you to reach that comfort level? Buy the players you feel comfortable authenticating, and on the 'toughies' get an opinion (or purchase ) from someone you trust.

I am getting better at Mantle. It has been a gradual process, over a year at least. (Some have become experts in a few days ) At this point I still wouldn't buy a Mantle on my say so. When someone asks my opinion, it is based on the question "Would I be comfortable buying this?"
This is my philosophy almost exactly. I'm not interested in Mantle so I haven't attempted to learn his signature, but you can substitute 'Ruth' for 'Mantle', and I'm in the same boat. With Ruth, it's actually gotten worse for me. There was a point where I felt good about my abilities, but given how many seemingly bad ones are deemed 'good' by the experts on this forum, I've lost a bit of confidence.

You can also reduce your risk by going Leon's route, but I don't like the looks of such documents, so I've gone for handwritten letters.

Steve - I also have to feel the same way about my autographed items that I feel about my cards. If I don't, then I get rid of the item.