View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
A few things:
  • Given that it's got an 'x' over the guy at front center, you might find an i.d. on the back when you de-frame it.
  • There really is no standard size on albumen images this old - they were printed, they were cut, they were matted. This one might be closer to what Dave considers 'standard', once the matt is removed. As long as it has the original matting, image size isn't an issue.
  • No Spalding
  • I never consider a photo like this 1870's unless there is real good reason to do so...even though it might be. Seeing it out of the frame, in person, will give you a better idea.

When I said "standard", it was because I was concerned it was a slightly trimmed down modern 16x20 print, not that it didn't fit some standard 1870's-80's era size.

It would be unusual for any albumen print to measure that close to a modern size, especially when you get to the larger sizes (8x10, 8 1/2" x 11", 11x17, 16x20), they are usually more erratic then that.

With the pictures given, I don't think you can tell enything given the frame it's in, but I'd be suspicious of anybody who offered me a 16x20 / 20x16 albumen photo.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 03-23-2013 at 12:57 PM.