View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Nice catch about the missing black edges. I would be interested to hear from printing experts whether they think these changes are the result of intentional removal or just a print fluke.
If it was just one card without them I'd say it was just underinked. And the scans I've seen of the no stripes and mine show other signs of the black being inked lightly or the transfers not transfering well. Like the weak lower frame line, and mine has nearly no upper line for the top of the hat. So far it looks like all the no stripes share the same lack of borders and weak lower frames, so I'm thinking those are changes made in production rather than just bad printing.

The scans aren't good enough, but there may also be a third version with a narrower line between the arm and field.
Other maybe differences are possibly more blue in the right side of the lower arm, and a small difference in the green just below the knee at the right border. Mine has both of those. The blue I'm almost sure is a difference, the green below the knee not so sure.

While looking at the Conroys on Ebay I spotted a few other small differences. One might be just a mistake but seems consistent, the other looks like an intentional repair. All on the with stripes version.
The first is a gap in the border near the upper right corner.
The second is what looks like a manually repaired lower border, although I didn't see a second one or one with a lower border gap in that spot.

The 350s with stripes are interesting. I think they might indicate continuous production, or are from sheets leftover from the 150 printings that later got used up when 350 began. So technically wrongbacks.

I'll have to get a stripes Conroy to compare them up close.

Steve B