View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Hi- outbidding someone in extended bidding is not rude, it's completely part of the bidding process and standard in an auction.

putting in early "placeholder" bids as others have mentioned above, is the best way to put yourself in a good position to strategize during extended bidding. if you put placeholder bids in on the first day (or during the first few days) the lots are usually very low at that point and you'll most likely be outbid. best bet, try to preview the auction before bidding opens, and if you see something you are even remotely interested in, throw a bid in on the first day.

good luck, hope you win the item you want.
It is rude because I would rather know now that someone will be outbidding me. Doesn't mean it isn't strategy, but it feels rude. I would like to know now.

Also there are still many lots that don't have bids. There are items from auctions that end at times with no bids. So if you try and put a "place holder" bid in and you end up winning more than you can pay (or should allow yourself to pay) then that stinks. I understand the place holder comments, the idea isn't going over my head, but that doesn't always make the most sense. I once won more than I had expected because I placed bids for an auction that I couldn't be around for at the end figuring that I would be outbid on some and not others, instead I won almost all of them. I paid for it, but I will not allow that to happen again. My hobby is not strategy game playing with my money, I am a small fish in an ocean of money. I don't have the luxury of spending even an extra $100 on accident.