View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM

For the people wondering why this collection started, here is the quick version of the story:

I bought my first OJ's from Larry Fritsch around 1992-93. Joe Mulvey first because it was the cheapest, then a few months later I bought Corcoran because he was the best player he had for sale(very limited selection at the time).

When I got on ebay, the first OJ auction ending after I signed up was a Corcoran, different version than mine and very cheap. I won it.

Not knowing at the time how rare OJ's were, I was "misled" into thinking maybe ten Corcoran's existed. So when another showed up on ebay and it was a different variation, I won it.

Then I decided to get all six variations. When I got to five, I couldn't find the other one, so I bought a double to use as a trade bait. That card was low grade though, so when a nicer double showed up it seemed like better trade bait but I still couldn't find the sixth variation.

I then had a chance to buy a graded EX double, real nice, so I got it. By the time I finally got the sixth variation I had four doubles, all different, so I went for a second set and started the same thing as last time, buying doubles to trade...then eventually went for a third set, etc.

By the time I got to 17 or so, I just decided to buy them all, I was almost doing it anyway. I only passed up a couple...one being the one Fred has.

So that is how it got to where it is. If I knew there may be 60-70 of them out there, I probably would have never bought the second one
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 04-02-2019 at 07:07 AM.