View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Matt

Default kinda o/t: a 'find' in my in-law's basement....I only wish they were baseball

So, I was over at my in-law's with my wife and kids for a belated Christmas celebration last weekend and stumbled (almost literally) across 'a find'. My in-laws have an immaculate house, inside and out, and you could eat off the tile floors in their unfinished basement. My young son and I were relegated to sleeping down there on a couple extra beds due to an overflowing extended family situation upstairs. While setting up our beds, I was walking past a few remaining boxes full of random household stuff and old bowling trophies from my wife's deceased great uncle Jim's estate. On the top of one of the boxes was this old cigar box. I don't know about you, but I can't walk past a closed, old cigar box at an antique show, garage sale, or estate auction without opening it up to see what's inside. My dreams are for a full load of old baseball cards, of course, but usually all I find are greasy nuts and bolts or old buttons and spools of thread.

To my amazement, this time my dream almost came true....

Inside were these 214 Horrors of War cards from 1938. All the high numbers are there in pretty decent condition. Cards 1-48 are pretty rough, though. The rest are VG on average. My mother-in-law's response to what I found was 'we were just going to get rid of all that stuff'.....and 'we didn't know what kinda game those cards were?' They know I'm really into old baseball cards, but I guess just didn't see the connection.

These photos were taken before I sorted through them. The cards hadn't been thumbed through in many decades as there were remnants of a couple old shriveled up rubber bands at the bottom of the box.

Thought you guys would enjoy this............Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9209.jpg (73.6 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9211.jpg (75.9 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9212.jpg (73.8 KB, 614 views)