View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Eye appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I can name several ebay sellers that consider every card they sell strong for the grade. Somehow they are never in possession of a card that is weak for the grade. That is a fantastic business model.
+1 - I can think of one in particular that always lists his cards in caps as "...NICER" and "..MUCH NICER" - - nothing is ever "WORSE" or "MUCH WORSE"

Seriously, I will note an opinion of "strong for the grade" occasionally if centered well, nice image, colors, clean, no creases or marks. That's strictly a matter of opinion and depends on the buyer's sense of value and preference. Varies for many - I know people who wouldn't consider a card w/a crease no matter what the numerical grade is. Some hate off-center issues, staining, paper-loss, etc.

If you have VCP, you can see a wide range of pictures and prices (in many cases) for same grade, but various levels of eye-appeal. Centering issues and staining seem to drive prices down in most cases. Well centered and clean seem to do better despite creases and/or mild corner fraying (perhaps older they are, more accepted that is?)

I run across many who like lower grade T206s (as an example) with paper-loss -- which is an automatic 2 or less for most (.. SGC at least, PSA seems to give those a 5 ) but otherwise clean and present well. Lower grade, lower prices - - but otherwise present well.

Bottom line to me is if you like it, you determine value and premium (if any) you'd be willing to pay.