Thread: Restoring cards
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Maybe it's the stock broker in me, but I find restoring cards to be highly deceptive.

Ask yourself this. Would a particular card be restored if it weren't being sold? Likely not. The sole motivation (at least most of the time) for doctoring a card is a monetary one, and it is dishonest. It is a misrepresentation of what is being sold, and unethical.
I likely would not restore the card unless I was selling it. I prefer the well-loved look of my cards as is. I think your statements wrongly assume that, if I got it restored, I would not disclose that information when selling it. There is no way I would sell a card without fulling disclosing that information. I would be restoring a 1952 Mantle. To reach the full monetary price of the piece, I would have to have it regraded after restoration. Most bidders are too hesitant to lay out money for an ungraded copy sold through the internet. So, any card I sold that was altered would clearly be labelled altered. Under those factual circumstances, does your opinion on restoration change? I am still not sure where I fall on the restore/don't restore line of thought. Fortunately, there are no plans to part with the card any time in the near future.