View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 PM

To answer the OP's question it would be nice to kind of know what teams or players are in the stack of 60 and what condition the blankets are in.

I have told this story before but when I first started collecting pre-war stuff back in the early 1990's, I had a couple of opportunities to buy stacks of nice condition B-18 blankets but didn't because of money (poor college student). From what I remember, these were mostly common players and teams (though each stack did have a Walter Johnson in it).

There was also an auction out in the country that had a number of really nice condition B-18's (with bright colors) including the harder to find teams and variations. I should have gone after (and still regret not doing so) these teams and variations but they had a Joe Jackson that I was saving my money for.

I knew I didn't have the money to buy the harder to find blankets AND the Joe Jackson so I passed on the stacks and went for the JJ. Unfortunately, I didn't get that either (though I did make the high bidder pay waay more than he would have if I didn't show up). Anyway, the auctioneer broke the blankets up into teams and sold them by the stack, no matter how many were in a stack. These included doubles and triples of some players in some stacks including brown infield versions.

What I see today is that B-18's go in cycles more than most other things. Sometimes really nice condition ones go for less than what I think they should, even the harder to find teams and variations. Then, other times, even common players go for waaay more than I expect.

I think what happens is some people get tired of collecting cards or they have just come into the hobby and find B-18's and go nuts for them. So, they bid them up. After they cool their jets then there is little demand (but greater supply) and prices fall back.

This is why I would like to know what ones are in the 60. If there are harder to find teams and variations and the condition of the blankets is nice, I would say go for them even if you already have them or don't really collect them (if they are reasonably priced). Because you can always hold onto them and wait for the cycle to turn up and sell them.

David