View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

CJ-I collect multi-signed HOF pieces. I have shown this piece on here a few times, but let me give the backstory:

I started this piece during the fall of 1989, with Bob Feller at a show. It then sat in my parent's house for the next 20+ years until I stumbled upon it in 2009. I decided then to make it a multi-signed piece. I sent to Doerr and MacPhail, since they were free TTM. As those two came back, I started sending it to more players and included cash. I have the order someplace, but guys like Sparky, Irvin, Ford, Kaline, etc. Usually between $10-$20 cash. I tracked players response times and how much the going rate was on SportsCollectors.net.

In February 2011, I sent it to Whitey Herzog with $10 cash. I used the automated postal machine in the front lobby of the Post Office, had the package weighed, put the stamp on it, and left.

I saw numerous Herzog items coming back on SCN, started to get nervous for awhile. After not getting it back for a few weeks, I honestly gave up on it. I was pretty bummed out, but knew that is the chance you take with doing TTM. I thought about writing Whitey a note inquiring about the piece, but didnt. At the beginning of April, I see a package in my mailbox. I knew immediately it was ther Herzog item. I raced to the mailbox and found that it was "returned to sender". I honestly didnt care at that point, was just happy to have it back. After looking at the front of the package, it was returned to sender because "postage was due". And actually, it had a couple of attempted delivery dates on the envelope. Not sure if that was attempted delivery back to me, or to Herzog. I was confused as to why postage was due and it was coming back to me when I specifically had the package weighed and the appropriate stamp put on there. I was just happy to have the piece back (considering I chalked it up to being completely lost) and didnt want to fight with the post office.

I have actually mailed it out to three private signings since (LaSorda with MAB, Doug Harvey with the Feller Museum, and Gary Carter with JP's right before his passing) and have added Sandberg in person. I was a nervous wreck mailing it out two more times, but I guess I was lucky.

I will be honest, I dont think your piece should go anywhere near a post office. Save the money you would be spending on mailing supplies, postage, insurance, (not to mention worrying!) and make it up to Cooperstown one year and knock out a ton IP. But whatever you do, don't put that baby in the mail.

I usually go to Induction Weekend, but ironically havent since I started this project (3 years). And while I would love to help you out, I can honestly say I would be scared to death to have that thing in my possession.

Last edited by Cooptown; 12-20-2012 at 10:01 AM.