View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I do not think guns in general should be banned. With that said, what is the purpose of having assault guns? These types of guns are so distrunctive that in anyone's hands, they are too much power. When our constitution was written, assault guns did not exist. Second amendment was good for the time but should not apply to assault weapons. No civilian uses these to hunt game or protect their home! They are used strictly for killing. Even if they were used for hunting, there would be the ethical debate of what is sport and what is overkill. They need to be banned as they serve no useful purpose.
I'm not a hunter, but it's fine that other people are, and I wouldn't take way their guns. I think all the animals I eat are beaten to death in pens, so no guns are necessary.

I did own a Ruger single-six .22, and I loved shooting cans in the canal. In fact, I'm looking for another one. I also like the idea of owning a .44 Blackhawk, and I could rationalize that it's for protecting myself when the end of the world occurs and I have to move to the mountains of Idaho, but the real reason is that it feels good to shoot a really big gun.

Assault rifles I don't get. If it comes to the point that I need one of those to protect myself, it's too late.