View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Bill Gregory

Welcome to the forum, Bryan, from another new member! I'm Bill. Nice to meet you!

Like Travis, I collect both modern and vintage as well (with the emphasis on modern until recently). As somebody that's been reading through the forum since this last weekend, you might have seen some of the posts I've made that allude to the challenges I've found in storing cards from different eras.

Like you, I want to be able to share my collection with friends. But it sounds like we're going to go about it in different ways. You are looking at displaying them in your home. I will be displaying them online. I do web design on the side, and my plan is to share my collection virtually. I'll be doing high quality scans of my cards, as well as digital images of my memorabilia, and uploading them to my website. This way I can look at anything in my collection with ease, share my passion with my friends, and yet provide the best protection possible for my investments. The pictures I take will also serve as my proof of ownership for insurance purposes.

If you are serious about displaying your cards in your home, I have to agree with Travis. It's going to take some money and effort on your part. Every collection is unique, and you're probably looking at something custom built.

If you have a local card shop, you might talk to them about who helped them in constructing their display cases. You are wanting UV protection so the cards and autographs do not fade, and keep the cards out of direct sunlight at all costs. You also want a pretty controlled climate, as moisture can damage cards over time.

There is no website with pictures of all the cards ever created. I don't know if that would even be possible with the incredible number of cards that have been produced over the years. When I look for a particular card, I search on Google images, as well as Ebay (often using the advanced search feature, and completed auctions). Beckett allows for uploading of images to their database. I'm hoping that will grow over time, but you're right-as of now, it's pretty hit and miss.

Good luck! When you get your collection display up, please take some pictures and share them with us!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.