View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:15 PM

Not only does the pic of McBride look like a dead ringer, but if he wasn't in the picture, George Gibson would be. I don't see anyone that looks like Gibson at all. Their time with the team overlapped by three days, so without Gibson the date of June 30th or prior is certain.

The only two players that joined the Pirates before Gibson did, besides the 21 mentioned in the pic, were Frank Moore, who was there for a very brief time in mid-June, and Harry Smith, who was there before Moore and his time was just as brief, but it didn't overlap Moore. Smith could also be in the pic if it was taken before March 20th.

With Gibson in the pic, it would be post June 30th and then you would have a new range of possibilities as well (Leifield, Ganley, Knabe, Kinsella, Flanagan, Brain and Wallace) depending on the date.

To me, it looks like you can pinpoint the date range from March 21- April 10 based on the fact the Pirates had all 21 of those players together in camp for that entire period. The pic was likely taken in Hot Springs, Ark. area, though Louisville is a small possibility as the team traveled there on the way to their season opener in Cincinnati but Clarence Holmes was released to the minors right after they got there. Goodwin went to his minor league club days later and Lindaman lost out the last roster spot to Chick Robitaille on Opening Day. Not that they had roster limits as strict as today, Barney Dreyfuss said in early spring that he would carry between 17 and 19 players and they ended up with 18, not needing seven pitchers. Homer Hillebrand was their emergency pitcher/catcher
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 12-01-2012 at 02:18 PM.