View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Hello! New kid in town....

Hello everybody, my name is Bill, and this is my first post here.

I was fortunate enough to stumble across Net 54 about a month ago, and I have been enjoying the discussions (and the sharing of collections) ever since. I decided to sign up, and jump feet first into the proverbial sea of knowledge, and kick start my vintage collection with some help from you all.

A little about me first (I'll keep it short so as not to bore anybody ). I was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin far too long ago (ok, 1971), and since I was old enough to hold a baseball, I have had a passion for the game. I attended my first Brewers game in 1978, and my lifelong love affair with the team has never faltered. I moved to Texas, where I now live, but the Brewers are still my team. Besides the Brew Crew, I also follow the Rangers, and the Pirates (my second favorite baseball team).

I collected baseball cards as a boy (didn't everybody?), but eventually I grew disenchanted with the hobby, and stopped in the early 90's. A little over a year ago, I got the urge again, and have been collecting since. The majority of my purchases have been of modern players (I collect Bowman Chrome autograph prospects, as well as some football cards, too. I am a die hard Packer fan). But as one that has an incredible love of the history of the game, I find myself wanting to collect vintage more and more. However, before I start making substantial investments in these cards, I need to learn more about vintage cards in order to protect myself. I guess that's the old stock broker in me. My profession requires due diligence, and I abhor risk. Also, what I can invest in my hobby right now is somewhat constrained by my long term disability. I hurt my back about 5 years ago, and after several surgeries, I am waiting to see what's next. So, I want to make sure I am spending is invested wisely, and I look forward to learning from you fine folks!

My favorite two players of all-time are Robin Yount and Roberto Clemente, greats that I have found similar in many regards. Beyond the obvious 3,000 hit club membership, and Hall of Fame induction, both played their entire careers for one small market team. Both had their finest moment on the game's biggest stage (Clemente in the 1971 World Series, Yount in the 1982 World Series), and both were somewhat under-appreciated in their time.

I also like Rollie Fingers quite a lot. Though he did not pitch in Milwaukee long, the years he was there made him a fan favorite, and I will contend until my dying day that if we'd have had him in the 1982 Series, we'd have beaten the Cardinals. My affinity for Rollie has grown over the years, and has gone into overdrive hearing firsthand how nice a man he truly is. My best friend lives in Las Vegas, and Rollie is the coach of his daughter's little league team. My user name is an homage to the great #34.

Current players I quite like Ryan Braun and Jonathan Lucroy.

Anyhow, that's enough about me. I look forward to getting to know everybody here.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.