View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Jeff P

In general, football cards are worth less when compared to baseball cards of the same year. There are obviously exceptions to this rule. For instance, the value of stars varies greatly depending upon the player and what year they are in in their career. Some sets in a given year are more popular (or less available) and that impacts value/price as well.

There is a lot of debate as to whether football cards will catch baseball cards in value as the popularity of football continues to grow. Some believe this popularity will eventually increase demand for football cards and prices will increase. Others believe football's growing popularity is so broad and diverse that this doesn't necessary mean more people will want to collect football cards.

Both baseball and football cards were massively overproduced in the early 90s resulting in a huge glut of sets and cards from that era. Most cards from that era are essentially worthless and you will have trouble getting someone to take them even if you give them away for free. I've heard dealers at shows tell sellers: "I wouldn't take up the space with your cards if you gave them to me". I've seen sets on ebay sit for months at 99 cents (with $10 shipping) with no takers. For the most part, if you're trying to sell sets from the early 90s, you might as well shred the cards and use them to pack other things with. Sorry to pop anyone's bubble who has a lot of cards from the early 90s they think they're going to retire on.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 11-08-2012 at 05:28 AM.