View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Johnny Mize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Bill James rates Mize (as of 2003 when he last did his list) as the #62 player of all time, which includes Negro Leaguers. He ranks Mize ahead of, for example, Carew, Killebrew, Greenberg, Clemente(!), and Banks.

Somehow, I doubt that 30 years from now one will be able to sit down and talk baseball with any of today's players the way Ted talked to Mize.
Peter

I don't always agree with Bill James.....in this instance I do, regarding Johnny Mize. I would guess that Bill James (being a disciple of sabermetric analysis) appreciates Mize's
amazing On-Base percentage of .400

The 1950 American League race came down to a very tight contest between the Yankees, Detroit, Boston and Cleveland. I closely followed the 1950 season watching TV
and listening to my electronic tube radio. I vaguely recall Johnny Mize hitting 3 consecutive HR's in the late September drive against the Tigers. This was the 6th time in his
career he hit 3 in a game. A record which still stands today.

Regarding my conversations with Johnny, I wish that I had recorded them. Big John was a delight to talk with. Fortunately, I recall some of the highlights (as told in Post 23).

A final note, Mize (as did Ted Williams) had "run-ins" with quite a number of sportswriters which probably prevented him from being inducted into the HOF in his earlier years.

TED Z