Thread: Bad call
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Todd Schultz

Upon further reflection, I would clarify one point. I still believe the infield fly rule never should have been called, as it was not a routine play, and there was no chance of a double play had it been purposely dropped or allowed to drop. The fielder was not camped under it and was in backpedal mode.

The timing of the call, however, is a red herring IMO, and probably benefited the Braves. Had the umpire signaled IF fly immediately, as some contend he should have if he was going to call it at all, then I believe the Braves runners would have retreated and not been in a position to advance when the ball hit the ground. They would not need to go part-way to avoid being forced out and would not want to be doubled up, so my guess is they would have been at least somewhat further away from their next base than they actually were because of the late call. Whether they make it anyway because of the ball falling in I do not know, but my point is that the delay in making the call had no adverse affect on Atlanta that I can see.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-07-2012 at 01:29 AM.