View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
My mom asked him to sign a team ball during spring training 1987 as he was heading to the clubhouse. He told her he would sign after he showered and dressed. She waited and waited. Then she saw a red headed guy jogging across an adjacent field toward some cars. My mom RAN HIM DOWN (after giving him a 150 yd headstart) and yelled at him. "Mr. Bigshot has to go out a back door and run away? Why didn't you just say no? And you should be ashamed, not only that you made a 45yo woman chase you, but she CAUGHT YOU!"

He apologized profusely, and meekly signed a perfect autograph.
He makes a good point about the signature readability nowadays, but its a bit silly for him to talk about integrity of getting autos given the stories above.

This reminds me of a story a guy I met gave about Ron Santo. Santo was on some radio show talking about how he used to sign for hours after Cub games, sometimes not getting home till late evening after day games. This guy remembers getting hurdled by Ron Santo while Santo was leaving Wrigley and there were a bunch of of kids outside waiting (I guess he used to sprint to his car all the time). He called into the show and chewed Santo out for stretching the truth. 1 week later, the guy got a signed ball in the mail from guess who? Ron Santo.

Last edited by isaac2004; 10-05-2012 at 02:40 PM.