View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
William Peebles

I was just browsing through a thread about a Manny Ramirez item and I felt this was a better place to post a minor observation.

While I agree that there are definitely examples of pre-1990 scribbles, mostly executed by guys who I'm sure had rough handwriting to begin with, the vast majority seem legible. On the flip side, I'm constantly amazed at how much worse it continues to get year after year. Especially over the last 10-15 years. One thing that always makes me laugh is that although Joe Jackson was illiterate, when necessary, he would still sign his name with a dignified effort. Granted it probably took some time to execute, but he managed to actually write his name. Manny Ramirez may be illiterate, he may be a genius, who the hell knows, but he's never signed his name the same way twice. With his carefree style, he doesn't even draw the same letters or shapes each time.

Beyond the scribbles, my favorite part of modern autographs are the inscriptions. There, you get a perfectly clear view of the disproportionate amount of time spent "perfecting" one's mark, versus actually learning to write with their hands. Scribble loop for a signature followed by grade school level, block printed d'nealian inscription. It's beyond embarrassing.

That's all. Moving on.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com