View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Red Murff- The scout that signed Nolan Ryan to his 1st pro contract

Red Murff was a pitcher for the Milwaukee Braves in 1956 and 1957.
He also happened to be the one pro scout that properly identified the genius of Nolan Ryan. Other scouts looked at him in high school, but it was Murff, while scouting for the Mets in 1964 and 1965, that said in his scouting report that Nolan Ryan had "the greatest arm that I've ever seen, bar none".

In 1999 I had the opportunity to meet at spend a fair amount of time with Red Murff. I loaned/donated about 83 different items to The Nolan Ryan Center (Ryan Museum) when they first opened in Alvin, Texas. I was asked to attend a pre-Grand Opening of the Ryan Center in April, 1999. While there, I first met Red Murff. He was an unbelievably humble and nice gentleman and we talked baseball and what it was like to scout a young teenage Nolan Ryan. He signed and inscribed a baseball for me, which says:

"I signed Nolan Ryan to his first pro contract in 1965".
I still have it and treasure it as I have been an advanced Ryan collector since he 1st came to the Angels in 1972.

I also connected with Murff at Ryan's 1999 HOF Induction at Cooperstown in July. From time to time, I checked in with Murff.

In 2008, I had a great friend of mine from Milwaukee send me a candid dugout shot of Murff and Bob Trowbridge from 1957. I sent it and a full ticket from Nolan Ryan's 300th win to Red Murff asking if he would be willing to sign them for me. Within a week I received an envelope back with a note from Red's daughter Sara that Red had contracted extreme Parkinsons and she sent back what I am quite certain were his last attempts at a signature.
Moments like these are extremely bittersweet, to say the least...
Red Murff passed away in 2008.

I also have included a picture of Red's great signature when his health was better and he was on his game.

RIP Red
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Murff.jpg (68.5 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.