View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

It ended up as "Who the Hell is Stan Papi? He's the best head in town."

I suppose it's ok to quote it. If anyone's really bothered I'll censor it somehow.

I also recall the third word beginning with an f, but it was a long time ago. I was always amazed they didn't paint it over. It outlasted Papi.

I used to take a lap around the outside of the park if I was early enough or in the area. There used to be a small door along the first base side that aligned directly with the grounds crew field entrance. And it was usually left open, and also usually unguarded on off days. I never had the guts to wander in and try getting on the field. The BPD wasn't particularly gentle on occasion especially with stuff that was a nuisance to prosecute.

To keep on topic, I'm not liking the trade much. Sure, those three players were underperforming this year, but it seems like everyone is under the new manager. Youk is doing well in Chicago, and I'll be surprised if the guys traded don't do well for LA. I'm all for the use of sabrmetrics in helping figure which players to sign, but there are a few cities where the players mental makeup might matter more. Boston, NY, a bit less in Chicago. The Sox have had a lot of good players signed who can't handle the scrutiny.
The trend the Sox seem to be taking is to become the A's. Borderline competetive on nearly no budget. And competetive because they're loaded with players who are all slightly above average but also very dull.
Give me a bunch of occasionally brilliant headcases any day. At least when they come in 3rd they'll be fun to watch.

Steve B