View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Jim

> Statistics can lie. Oh how they lie

Yep, I'm too lazy to do fetch 'em... but if you like those clutch stats from last year that were referenced in a prior post, you might take a look only at what was done against the rival treams, those that you have to beat, those where there is pressure, like the Rays, Rangers, and Yankees... Gonzalez was totally MIA against them (and a couple of the other better teams). He cleaned up on the weak sisters... he was streaky, but those streaks were always against the lesser teams. Ask any Sox fan to remember a notable at bat by Adrian... I suspect that few can. Tied, down one, down two with two out in the eight or ninth and Gonzalez coming to bat - might as well head to the concession stand or fridge - nothing to see here. Other than Punto he was probably the last guy that I wanted to see up (as a long watching Sox fan).

He should be praised for an excellent first half of last year, his fielding in general, and also for being willing to go out and play right field for a bunch of games while the Sox worked out the Middlebrooks-Youkilis situation. But he was not even close to being an elite performer over his time with the Sox. Better they spend their $$ elsewhere.

Last edited by mckinneyj; 08-26-2012 at 08:28 AM.