View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 PM
D@ve R1cks

Call me weird, but I don't plan on really trying to pass the hobby down to my sons. I have a 6 year old and 4 year old. They enjoy seeing the cards, but, I dunno.... I am involved in a number of different interests and hobbies, it just bugs me how dirty and greed-filled so many people in this hobby are. It's just the people on this board that keep me going and enjoying it. Well, that and the cards themselves of course.

Anyway I just have minor addiction to cards, my problem I guess. But I am not entirely convinced it is a good thing, or that it would be in my kids' best interest to head at all down the same path.

I am not going push them or pull them any direction. If they're interested in it, great! If not, fine too. I am sure they will find their own passions in life.

As I look at myself and my dad, we actually have very different personalities, and very different interests. I am sure it will likely be the same with my kids.

I do like to share the hobby a bit with family and friends though. Most people simply have no idea that baseball cards this old even exist. Show them an 1887 old judge and even people not interested in baseball or cards raise an eyebrow. For my brother's birthday last year I gave him a T206 common. He thinks its really cool and has it sitting on their living room bookshelf. Then for christmas last year I gave my older brother a T206 common and a copy of "The Glory of their times". He called me up asking questions about the card and stuff.... so I guess it is good to share the hobby, but when I think of how much money you can go through in vintage, it just doesn't seem like serious collecting is something I'll want to steer my kids toward.

Last edited by honus94566; 08-24-2012 at 01:54 PM.