View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM

Default Barker notes

Being a generally lower condition collector, AND actually preferring my blank back cards to have some writing on them (you know, to spice up an otherwise dull surface), I have ended up with quite a few Buck Barker Zeenut cards. Like Mark mentioned, you do find quite a few of the hobby veterans and legends that Buck purchased his cards from and noted as such (the man was incredibly detail orientated). Besides the names Mark listed, I have in my collection ones from Lew Lipset, Frank Nagy, Bill Heitman, and even a Preston Orem originally picked up in 1958. They don't normally add much of a premium to the card, but are a cool reminder of how much research that this man did to identify all the mystery PCL players that only had their last name on the card (and which frequently was mispelled). Some of my favorite from the ones I have posted are the James Cagney caricature that Buck managed to utilize all the available space, and the 1925 Haughy card which he notes possibile last names that he researched at the Sporting News archives and found to be not a good match (my guess is this guy is still unidentified).

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buckszees184.jpg (75.4 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 08-19-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added scan and title