View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Default New N172 Old Judge Jack Glasscock Variation?

I recently purchased a beat-up, apparently rebacked N172 Old Judge Glasscock card that has obviously seen better days, for what I thought was a reasonable price:

In researching the card a little more, I quickly realized that while I could find several examples of Glasscock pictured in a similar pose, those examples all appeared to be a different variation. Specifically, the more common example below is numbered in the upper right corner, includes a logo at the center top, does not feature the writing in the middle left of the image on my version, spells out "Indianapolis" in its entirety whereas mine abbreviates it "Indpls." (similar to the spelling used in a variation of the card featuring Glasscock leaning on his bat), and has a different style of bottom caption generally:

It appears that my copy of the card was previously sold at auction by REA in a lot back in 2007 (pictured in the second photo):

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...n/2007/77.html

As a relatively new collector of Old Judge cards, I was hoping to call on the board's collective expertise to help me understand what I've got here. Is this a known variation? A previously unknown variation? A reprint?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: In researching things a little more after my initial post, I noticed that there is also a similar variation of my Glasscock that sold at auction back in July, that is nearly identical except for the spelling of Indianapolis (it is spelled in full in the card below, whereas mine is abbreviated "Indpls."):

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Last edited by ngrow9; 08-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.