View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 AM

Default Didn't go but bought three things

I didn't make it to the National this year but my friend Ryan Sims was kind enough to call me from from the National and told me about four items he thought were up my alley...sure enough I bought three of them by phone and text. See below...You're seeing the same fuzzy cell phone photos I had to go on...When I receive them in hand I'll try to post better shots.

Photobucket
A c1920 silver plate bicycle plaque commissioned by the Canada Cycle and Motor Company. I like the beaver at the top. Got from Herbert Thomas the third.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Next was a c1885 Harvard Athletic Association short bill cap with the best silk makers label I've ever seen in a college cap....from the James Brine company in Cambridge. Got it from our own Keith Javic (KJvaic) of www.antiquesportsshop.com. The AHA would normally not be enough to prove it was a Harvard cap since it's not maroon...but the label puts that to rest!

Photobucket
I didn't have an example of this cap so it was a good find. My bud John Gennantonio says this type cap was used for various sports including baseball. I'll have to research it further once I get it but I did find a reference of a Blossom who boxed at Harvard. Above is a shot of an 1893 Harvard baseball player wearing the same style cap

Photobucket
Last was this framed c1900, 21" x 11" trolley car sign for Omega Oil that features a track runner in starting position....Never seen it before..Ryan got the trophy....got it from our own Brett Lowman of www.playokantiques.com As I pondered all the pieces trying to decide which ones to pull the trigger on, Ryan advised this sign would probably be around a while....code for get the cap and plaque first before they're gone...But once I got those handled I concluded that if I spotted the Omega sign at an antiques show I'd probably be all over it. A track related advertising sign from the turn of the century is very rare. Ryan said it's killer and I have a feeling I'll really like it once I see it in person..

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 08-09-2012 at 01:15 AM.