View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall777 View Post
This is the greatest treasure trove ever uncovered in the history of the hobby. I was a loyal collector who spent ALL of my allowance money on early-mid 90's cards. Rather than getting a "real job" I would flip my doubles on eBay and various message boards, since eBay was pretty new then. Before I knew it, the modern day card market crashed. I was so frustrated that I sold off my entire collection in bulk and never looked back until now. Once in a while I will bust a Wal-Mart box of something like Allen & Ginter just to get that fix that I so desperately miss. But let's face it, the only way to sustain true value in the hobby nowadays is to purchase very high end "boxes" that contain 1-3 packs with a guaranteed rookie cut, auto, or something of that nature. No one wants to spend $300-$500 for a few cards that could either skyrocket or fizzle out. It's just not appealing to the collector nor your wallet. Which is why I had given up the hobby for over 10 years, until recently. Because of the Black Swamp Find that I read in my local paper (I live in NE Ohio) I found this message board. For a week now, I have done nothing but look at everyone's collection and thoughts on Pre-War cards, which I know nothing about yet highly appreciate. My wife thinks I am nuts! Haha. But, much to my surprise, there is in fact a market for those who truly love the hobby...I've just been looking into all the wrong places until now. I could never imagine the feeling of a Black Swamp like find, but it's more exciting to me that pulling a juiced up A-Rod swatch card from a high-end pack. Because of this find, I found you guys and because of you guys, I may join the hobby again. I love collecting cardboard, but when I tossed all my eggs into the 90's basket and ended up holding a goose egg that everyone else had, I hesitated to ever do it again. Thanks for opening up my eyes
Great post and welcome back !!!

This board is a lot of fun, best place on the internet IMO. Great to see more interest in pre-war cards coming about because of this awesome find !!

Sincerely, Clayton