View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof6 View Post
Interesting story, but sorry, no tobacco cards. These cards were ment to be handed out with candy. The best we can figure, Carl Hench, a german immigrant who spoke only broken English, received the cards as promotional items, and instead of handing them out, put them in a box in the attic instead. They were in a stack of boxes which contained his children's school papers. (The (one) aunt wasn't the only one who didn't throw things out.) Also in the attic was his brother's steamer trunk from his trip to America, old gas lamp fixtures (after the house was converted to electricity) and the grandma's clothes, still folded up in a dresser.
Jean Hench didn't like to throw anything out, but the house wasn't "full to the rafters" either. Many of the items in the house were of historical value to the family - Carl Hench's 1909 wedding shoes, newspaper clippings (from the flood of 1913, the start and end of WWII and the VietNam war), old toys and games, lots and lots of pictures - things from their lives through the years. Sorry, I don't have the box, but I do have the doll house. If you tell me how to upload a picture, I will gladly do so.
I have been following your chatter since day 1. As Karl said, we have learned much and enjoyed your input. Thank you!
Welcome to the forum! What is your role in the story?