View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Tony Davis

Default 80's

My biggest mistake was starting to collect in 1983. By 1989, my collection was at 100,000 cards including massive caches of the rookie cards of Wally Joyner, Gregg Jefferies, Eric Davis, Greg Sheffield, Sandy Alomar jr, etc. Seriously, if I would have invested all that cash in vintage cards back then... But without the Internet, it was impossible to find good, reasonable vintage cards. Besides, in 1986, I thought my 47 rookie cards of Wallyworld were going to finance my plush future lifestyle, not one t206 Cobb! I mean, seriously... What was I thinking. I used to go to Price Savers (early Costco), and see crates of boxes of 1987 donruss, and I would buy 2 boxes for $9.99 each, unwrap the wax, and sit and gloat over my 7 Devon White RCs because he was the next big thing (remember Rated Rookies? Those were gold!) I didn't stop to realize that every other kid, adult, old man was doing the same thing! And the sad thing is it is still going on!!! Think of all that crap that Target and Walmart sell!