View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Bill T.

Travis,

I think the misunderstanding is about what the OP asked. He didn't ask what people think about the Haul of Shame; he asked what people think about Peter Nash.

I believe that if what's in the HoS is true, then Nash is performing a valuable service. But that service doesn't make him a better person, it doesn't undo the things he did, and it doesn't make his victims whole. If he's truly repentant, and the whole HoS effort is somehow part of his payback, then good. I think the general feeling here, though, is that HoS is more of a misdirection play. "See? I'm not the only one." And that is most definitely not good.

I agree with you that some people will allow their opinion of Nash to affect their opinion of HoS. That is, they don't like Nash, and their dislike makes them think poorly about HoS. But I think many more people are able to separate their feelings about HoS from their feelings about Nash himself. That is, they like HoS, but still think poorly of Nash. I don't believe there's anybody on here who thought highly of Nash before HoS, but now thinks less of him just because of what he wrote.

To use an absurd example, would you think better of John Wayne Gacy if he gave directions to Ted Kaczynski's hideout?

Bill Todd (the one in MD, not the one in CT)