View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Chris

Thanx for an excellent question. Let's see if I can "un-confuse" you with the following......

Initially for the T206 issue, American Litho. (ALC) printed 34 (150 Series) Southern Leaguers which included 16 - Southern Association (SA) subjects.
Subsequently, ALC then printed the entire 48 - Southern Leaguers (350 series), and added 4 more SA guys.....Hart (Little Rock), Hart (Montgomery),
Lentz & Rockenfeld).

So, in the printing of the T206's, with respect to the SA guys, there were 2 phases. Now consider a 3rd addition.....the printing of the 1910 COUPON
cards were circa Spring (or Summer) of 1910. Concurrently, ALC was printing the T210 (OLD MILL) cards. The printing plate for the T210 image of Joe
Jackson (New Orleans) was most likely designed and ready then.

So, with Shoeless Joe having a great season (BA = .358) in 1909 playing for Savannah and tearing-up the SA with his hitting in 1910 (at a .354 clip)....
ALC could have added a Shoeless Joe card to this COUPON set and forever rendered this set a very unique issue in the hobby.

I know, this is wishful thinking....but, there are times my imagination goes wild.

Best regards,

TED Z