View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Default Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post
Here's one for Dan!

That good looking fellow pictured on the sign is my uncle, who broadcast Nebraska football games on radio from 1951 to 1992. At 14, his American Legion baseball team was sent from Oklahoma to see the third, fourth and fifth games of the 1937 World Series at the Polo Grounds, and Carl Hubbell took the team into the Giants locker room where they were given autographs by all the players. As a student after serving in the war, he broadcast sports events at the University of Oklahoma. He moved to Omaha in 1951 to join WOW radio and WOW-TV. An avid fan of all sports, he covered Creighton basketball, Omaha Cardinals baseball, high school sports, Husker basketball, baseball and football in addition to his nightly duties as television sportscaster. Uncle Jack also was the Public Address Announcer at the College World Series in Omaha from 1963 to 2000, and was a television fixture in Omaha for many years. He found time to give me an autographed Husker team football in 1965 and let me sit beside him as he broadcast the 1967 Big 8 Holiday Basketball tournament in Kansas City. He's now 86 and still pulling for the Big Red. Finding this sign in an antique shop was a real thrill for me!
Wow Rick I'm so glad for you that you found that sign!.....it's a beaut and great bio of your uncle