Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question about Authentication Services.... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=92623)

Archive 03-26-2009 06:34 PM

Question about Authentication Services....

Posted By: <b>MJ</b><p>Hey all - which Authentication services would you recommend, if any?<br><br>I'm scouring EBAY and a few other sites and now have noticed several new &quot;Authenticating&quot; services that I've never heard of before.<br><br>Elite? (will NEVER bid on something from them - one of the auction's I read clearly states that these guys actually TRIMMED a card to fit into the holder - STUPID, JUST STUPID!)<br><br>American Authentication Association???<br><br>After reading these boards, I'm already leery of PSA and Beckett and GAI, which leaves SGC....do you all have any recommendations?<br><br>I for one, personally do not care about graded cards - I think they look great without the case and the serially numbered sticker, but that's just me. (Incidentally, I mostly bid on stuff on ebay that's ungraded).<br><br>Yes, I'm aware that a card maybe considered more &quot;legit,&quot; but quite frankly, hearing about how many graded cards are far from legit, it's fairly irrelevant to have something graded. However, I'm sure some of you feel more comfortable with graded cards...with that said, who do you use?

Archive 03-26-2009 07:06 PM

Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>SGC, PSA and BVG. All the rest should be avoided<br>unless you really know the issue/series.<br><br>PRO, GEM and all those other 3rd tier graders <br>slab altered cards.<br><br>Steve

Archive 03-26-2009 07:59 PM

Posted By: <b>smtjoy</b><p>SGC is my top choice but cant go wrong with PSA and BVG too. Stick with the big three only, as Steve said avoid all the rest, garbage.

Archive 03-27-2009 12:22 PM

Posted By: <b>Frank B</b><p><br> What about cards in these holders? Is there something to look out for?<br>I assumed they were thought of as fairly competent and there are a decent<br>amount of cards out there that have been in these holders for awhile.<br>On a list of legitimate graders are they now thought of as questionable?

Archive 03-27-2009 12:29 PM

Posted By: <b>Scott</b><p><br>I've looked at some hockey cards lately that have been graded by a company called KSA. Other than being overgraded does anyone have any history with crossing these over?<br><br>Are they commonly trimmed or altered?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Scott.<br><br>PS - I would trumpet what others have said about going with SGC and PSA.

Archive 03-27-2009 12:33 PM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Many GAI cards got into holders with numbers and they shouldn't have as they were altered. You really need to be very careful with their holders but I would still put them above some of the others like PRO, GEM etc...If you know cards real well and know what to look for then GAI graded cards can be bargains....as many folks stay away from them (and rightfully so). Their issue was, imo, they started with a great name in grading, Mike Baker, and then he got out of the actual grading and they went down. Then their many fiascos with PR made them look even worse...regards

Archive 03-27-2009 12:46 PM

Posted By: <b>JohnnyH</b><p>Einsteins Grading theory-<br><br>SGC 4 = PSA 6 = GAI 8

Archive 03-27-2009 02:18 PM

Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>I guess that must be the &quot;grading&quot; evolution scale...<br><br>I think SGC and PSA are generally close. GAI, fuggetabout'em. Lots of issues with altered cards in non-AUTH holders. SGC is the most consistent and they have the best customer service (between SGC and PSA). PSA has slabbed more cards but I truly believer that they've also, proportionally, have made more and greater mistakes than SGC (grading wise and customer service wise). I don't much about Beckett grading so I'll leave them out of the comparison.

Archive 03-27-2009 02:20 PM

Posted By: <b>HRBAKER</b><p>One more, PRO 7 (or below) = Dull Scissors/Knife.

Archive 03-27-2009 03:41 PM

Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>Scott KSA is a Canadian grading outfit that does over grade cards. I have had a few in my collection in the past. Of the three I crossed to SGC. 2 of them were 2 grades lower and one crossed at equal grade.<br><br>As far as KSA goes I think it is fair to say they wouldn't slab a counterfeit, but I wouldn't bid on high grade KSA and I would always bid about two grades lower then what they say.<br><br>As for the other graders. I don't think I would buy a high grade GAI ever. Lower grade ones I would take a shot at. I've had success crossing a few to SGC.<br>

Archive 03-27-2009 04:05 PM

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Most of the stuff in GAI holders is authentic. If it's a GAI 1933 Goudey or T206, the card will be genuine.