Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Disturbing: "High-tech doctoring"/ "restoration" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=85215)

Archive 04-26-2007 08:18 AM

Disturbing: "High-tech doctoring"/ "restoration"

Posted By: <b>Ed</b><p>"High-tech doctoring" is someone else's words on a recent thread. Is it a waste of money to pursue pristine examples, if the major grading companies accept "restored" cards? At what point does restoration become alteration? I see this as a serious threat to the hobby. In my mind, baseball card "restoration" obviously threatens condition rarity and pop reports, which I see as a major motivational component of our hobby. Will the grading companies wake up to this and find ways to spot restoration/alteration? <br /><br />Tantamount to the peddling of fakes - just my opinion.<br /><br />Kin to the steroids issue.

Archive 04-26-2007 08:58 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>While some altered cards do invariably end up in holders, I'm not sure that's a reason to avoid that entire area of the market. Opinions vary as to what percentage are bad, but it could be north or south of 5%. That leaves the majority of high grade cards as acceptable. But it is an area of concern. We are still debating the best solution.

Archive 04-26-2007 01:24 PM

Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Guys,<br /><br />Trimmed, marked, authentic, those words don't do it for me, why don't the grading companies simply say restored or something similar to that?<br /><br />Peter

Archive 04-26-2007 11:24 PM

Posted By: <b>James Gallo</b><p>Since I have had some experience in grading just about everything here is how it works out.<br /><br />Comics Books. Restoration is accepted, the comic will have a different color label and will be graded on the features in now has. So a comic will be an apprent Very Fine.<br /><br />Coins. They will be refused for grading if anything has been doen to them. They can get cased similar to the AUTH grade in cards.<br /><br />Acition Figures/Toys. The will get refused and will be cased if desired.<br /><br />I think card graders just need to get more specific. Don't mark a card with a color touch AUTH mark it restored.<br /><br />If it's trimmed mark it TRIM.<br /><br />I also agree with Barry that you shouldn't avoid high end cards. Just be an informed and educated buyer.<br /><br />James G<br><br>Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Archive 04-27-2007 12:26 AM

Posted By: <b>Kevin Saucier</b><p>&lt;I think card graders just need to get more specific. Don't mark a card with a color touch AUTH mark it restored. If it's trimmed mark it TRIM.&gt;<br /><br /><br />I agree with labeling them as such but not marking the actual card. From my experience card doctoring has advanced to levels frequently beyond the capability of most graders. At this point, it would be up to their individual interpretation...which is somewhat in doubt at times.<br /><br />How many times has a collector had a card known not to be altered, be rejected? I for one would not want that card forever labeled with any invisible type mark. <br /><br /><br />Kevin Saucier <br />