Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Joe Jackson HOF hypothetical (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81447)

Archive 06-20-2006 11:25 AM

Joe Jackson HOF hypothetical

Posted By: <b>Scott Gross</b><p>Resolved (as Buster Brown used to say):<br /><br />Joe Jackson is elected to HOF:<br />Does the value of this cards go up (new HOFer), or down (loss of "mystique"), or remain the same (balances out) ?<br /><br /><br />I'd say DOWN, I think his relative collectibality is based more on NOT being in HOF (and all the debate thereof).<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />((please, this is not a "should he be in HOF" thread, thanks))<br />((please, also, this is not a "R. F. Outcault was the biggest literary sell-out in history" thread, either, thanks))<br />

Archive 06-20-2006 11:34 AM

Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>Same, if not a teeny bit higher as HOF collectors would now feel compelled to get his card if they had not already.<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive 06-20-2006 11:41 AM

Posted By: <b>James Gallo</b><p>I think one of the reasons Jacksons card are so expensive is that there are not a lot of them and they are pretty rare. They are also in mostly major sets like the E-90 and Cracker Jack.<br /><br />These cards have a short supply which also adds to the price.<br /><br />As such if he gets into the hall the demand increases but the supply stays the same.<br /><br />As such I think prices will go up but not a huge amount since the prices are high to begin with.<br /><br />James Gallo<br><br>Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Archive 06-20-2006 11:42 AM

Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>Scott,<br /><br />You're right, Joe Jackson should be in the HOF along with a bunch of other guys and R.F. Outcault was a literary sell out... now Jim Bouton on the other hand should have gotten a literary award from MLB. <br /><br />I would figure that if Joe were to be enshrined that his cards would remain at the same price for a long time because a lot of people have spent so much money on them that they wont sell them for any less than they paid for them. <br /><br />Maybe after time has passed and a new wave of collectors enters the hobby the JJ cards will drop a bit because he'll just be another enshrinee in the HOF (if that were to ever happen).<br /><br />JUST TO REITERATE:<br /><br /><b><font color="red">((please, this is not a "should he be in HOF" thread, thanks))<br />((please, also, this is not a "R. F. Outcault was the biggest literary sell-out in history" thread, either, thanks))</font></b><br /><br />

Archive 06-20-2006 12:03 PM

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Part of the demand for Jackson, Weaver and Pete Rose is that they're outcasts, tragic heroes. My guess is that if they're welcomed into the establishment by Bub Selig or like, the value of their cards would, if anything, go down a bit.

Archive 06-20-2006 12:12 PM

Posted By: <b>Kevin Cummings</b><p>While there probably is some mystique factor involved, I'm not so sure it affects the price of his cards materially. I think the prices his cards yield now are a result of people thinking he should be in the HOF and treating him as if he already was.<br /><br />If he eventualy makes the Hall for real, I do not envision the prices of his cards changing at all.

Archive 06-20-2006 06:21 PM

Posted By: <b>Frank Evanov</b><p>Joe's cards are in huge demand already. I don't see HOF adding much to today's prices.<br><br>Frank

Archive 06-20-2006 06:38 PM

Posted By: <b>anthony</b><p>i tend to think it might add to the price since it would make HUGE news and attract more interest in obtaining his cards, either way i still cant afford any of them...

Archive 06-21-2006 08:54 AM

Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>same as if a stock were added to an index...all the index managers (HOF colelctors) would automatically have to buy the stock (Joe's cards) if they didn't already own them.<br />I think this would be greatly outweighed by current Joe collectors deciding that he was no longer collectible and then selling them!<br /><br />I probably gave away my line of work with this email, but it's a great hypothetical...<br /><br />and closer to home, I don't own any Pete Rose cards, since there's more than enough money to be spent on guys who are in the HOF...when time comes, then I'll buy my Petes...<br /><br />

Archive 06-22-2006 06:17 AM

Posted By: <b>Richard Masson</b><p>If Jackson is elected to the HOF, he becomes Eddie Collins. Prices drop. If they let him in, will they rescind Ray Schalk?

Archive 06-22-2006 09:06 AM

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>While I agree that Earl Weaver is an outcast, I con't see him as a 'tragic hero'.<br /><br />But really I think if any of the 'Black Sox' get in, their card prices would go up because of the double-value of being in the HOF, and also being Black Sox. Okay, that's my posting limit for the day - please don't say anything interesting that I feel compelled to respond to.