Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   When It Was A Hobby (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=77564)

Archive 07-02-2005 04:57 PM

When It Was A Hobby

Posted By: <b>bruce dorskind</b><p>I have been an active collector of super-rare baseball items in top condition<br />since 1974. I have always strived to find the very rarest items- and for <br />countless years have advertised in Trader Speaks, SCD, VCB and now<br />Old Cardboard under the branding of "America's Toughest Want List."<br /><br />My real interest has been the history of baseball and how baseball cards,<br />advertising signs, sheet music, buttons, programs etc have been used<br />to promote both the commercial and non-commercial interests of the game.<br /><br />In the 31 years that I have collected, I have spent thousands of hours<br />researching the hobby, rare items and the companies that manufactured<br />them.<br /><br />In 2006 I am planning a major book..."When It Was A Hobby." A profile of<br />the collectors, dealers, collections, and companies that shaped so many lives<br /><br />In addition to my own experiences, I would love to see correspondence or<br />very early articles and hobby publications. <br /><br />I own 50 different copies of the Card Collectors Bulletin and some other<br />pre-1950 hobby items- the first 10 years of the Trader Speaks, have over<br />200 articles from 1920-1989 on baseball cards- including a rare 1923<br />New Yorker story on Collecting Old Judges...<br /><br />Also, have original correspondence from Charles Bray, Buck Barker, Lionel Carter,<br />Lew Newman, Frankj Nagy, Goody Goldfaden and countless others---as well as letters from<br />Howard Delong and the last Presidents of Goudey Gum and Tatoo Orbit (Wrigley).<br /><br />Finally, I am personal friends with the CEO of Topps and many long-retired baseball<br />collectors- who still have their entire collection in tact. Most of them have agreed<br />to contribute to the book<br /><br />I am looking for other collectors who have similar materials -for research purposes<br />only.<br /><br />My intent is to auction all the original materials in mid 2006-probably through<br />one of the top three auction houses---My understanding is that the material<br />will bring between $75 and $100,000.<br /><br />Your comments, questions and assistance is welcome.<br /><br />Bruce <br /><br /><br />

Archive 07-02-2005 06:57 PM

When It Was A Hobby

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Very nice collection, Bruce. As a type collector it always makes my heart tick a little faster when I see/hear about great cards......good luck in your endeavors.....regards

Archive 07-03-2005 03:46 PM

When It Was A Hobby

Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Looking forward to your book. Thank you for your efforts.<br />JimB

Archive 07-04-2005 07:18 AM

When It Was A Hobby

Posted By: <b>Joe_G.</b><p>I too would like to give you words of encouragement on your book writing endeavor. I look forward to your completed work. You've chosen a very interesting subject matter near and dear to our hearts. The materials you've already gathered including the 1923 New Yorker article on collecting Old Judges will prove fascinating.<br /><br />Thanks!

Archive 07-06-2005 10:17 AM

When It Was A Hobby

Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Will you entertain questions regarding your opinion on subjects such as the population of currently uncatalogued baseball cards (ie. how many potential surprises are out there for those of us who are less informed than you are)?