Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fraud made easier on ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=65269)

Archive 06-08-2004 12:46 AM

Fraud made easier on ebay

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I just tried informing a good buyer that he was bidding on a reprint, only to find out I have no way of contacting him if I have never had prior contact. Now there is no way to info the unsuspecting of there ignorance, anothe r win for the bad guys.

Archive 06-08-2004 01:08 AM

Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>.........what a drag.

Archive 06-08-2004 10:05 AM

Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>If I'm understanding it correctly you can still contact them through ebay's system just like before (i.e. go into "bid history" then hit the bidder's ID and then go to "contact member") but if you have had contact with them before, then when you get into "contact member" it will additionally give you their email address so that you can contact them directly if you don't want to go through ebay.

Archive 06-08-2004 10:22 AM

Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>you can still contact through ebay...they just made it more of a pain

Archive 06-08-2004 10:38 AM

Posted By: <b>Ebayist</b><p>Fraud on ebay? Wow, are you sure? Have you contacted SAFEHARBOR? Fraud means that it's intentional - are you absolutely sure about this? JD<BR>

Archive 06-08-2004 10:56 AM

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Telling eBay that fraud is rampant on their site is like trying to tell the 19 century New York City police department that the cops are corrupt.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive 06-08-2004 10:56 AM

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I try to wear a lifejacket when ever I am bidding on ebay. They themselves have proven there is no "SAFEHARBOUR". Each man for themselves!!!!!!!<BR><BR>By the Way thanks for the info about contacting a member.<BR><BR>Lee

Archive 06-09-2004 12:41 PM

Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>Buying items on ebay is like sailing through the Bermuda Triangle. If you bid on things only from sellers with 99.5% ratings and above and really check things out first, you are PROBABLY o.k. Not always. Safe Harbor will not help you at all. Believe me, I know as I have reported countless frauds on ebay that I spotted and they do nothing. It will take a huge lawsuit to get ebay to get off the pot and hopefully one will come soon. What's the alternative though? Go to Yahoo and bid on a zillion reprints? Travel to card shows only to be disappointed at the lack of vintage cards? For me, right now ebay is a necessary evil and hopefully I continue to deal with the right people because most ebayers are honest and good people and I have made a lot of contacts for off-line sales and trades by becoming acquainted with them through ebay.

Archive 06-09-2004 01:04 PM

Posted By: <b>Dan Elsass</b><p>As I have discovered since coming to this forum, there are countless great people that are honest and upfront about selling as well as buying. I have had some very good experiences with these folks as well as learned so much more than I had ever hoped to learn. Other than the occassional MISSILE SHOTS that people take at each other, it really has many advantages over Ebay. Now, I will admit that Ebay is like a worm on the hook and I am the fish... I know that I want that damn thing, so I try to avoid the hook... but every once in a while you get snagged. I guess that it just goes with the territory. Thank you to all of you whom have imparted their wisdom upon me, I are knot az dumbd as i uzed 2 bee!

Archive 06-09-2004 01:12 PM

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Even if a seller has really bad feedback, it pays to check out what his negs are for. I landed a decent group of cards for $5 a card beucase his feedback was under 90%. I was willing to take a chance on it because it he took PayPal and all his negs were for non-payment of items he won. All of his sales feedback was positive.<BR><BR>Jay