Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1941 Goudeys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=65209)

Archive 05-25-2004 02:43 AM

1941 Goudeys

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Just how tough is it to find these cards? I never really paid attention to them back int he 80s and I need about a dozen for my player set. They don't seem to come up on eBay very often. Just curious about rarity and price.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive 05-25-2004 07:34 AM

1941 Goudeys

Posted By: <b>Rhett</b><p>These are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for, much tougher than any of Goudey's other regular sets. I tis almost laughable how much these list for in the Beckett Almanac, seriously $30.00 for an EXMT common. Apart from being a tough set, they are even harder to find in presentable condition. I kinda think they are pretty interesting due t the wide variety of cuts that can be found: name on bottom(standard), name on top, and you can even find them sometimes when they are basically showing two different guys. The coolest card in the set is the Mulcahy b/c it lists that he was the first player drafted into WWII on the bottom of his card.<BR>-Rhett Yeakley

Archive 05-25-2004 10:52 AM

1941 Goudeys

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>There are a few on eBay right now and the starting bid on a lot of them $89.99 and $69.99. I know the seller, and their prices are always high to begin with. At least now I have an idea where to go, when once again, his lots go unbid upon. I swear this guy must have the highest percentage of fees of anyone out there since sa many of his lots go unsold.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive 05-25-2004 11:19 AM

1941 Goudeys

Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>collects them too I believe..........I had about 8-10 of them and sold them on ebay and got very nice coin for them. They are, as Rhett said, incredibly difficult to find in much better than EX-EXMT condition. They have VERY poor cutting similar to the rough edges (or even worse) of the O-Pee-Chee cards of the 1960's/1970's. Looks like they were cut with a butter knife. I'll buy all the $30.00 EX condition ones anyone wants to sell. I think I had some G/VG ones that sold in the $20 range and on up. Not the best of player selection and there are 4-5 background colors. Much like E94, a person could collect all the cards I think in all the back colors. Dan may be doing that.............

Archive 05-25-2004 02:02 PM

1941 Goudeys

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I don't care about condition beyond the fact that I don't want a distracting crease thru the face. For such a small set, it has a lot players that made their only card appearance there.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive 05-26-2004 06:47 AM

1941 Goudeys

Posted By: <b>dan</b><p>Yes they are harder than people think, I have been working on the "4 color for each player" set for about 20 years now and still need 2 cards to finish. Dan.