Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Whitman Baseball Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=63492)

Archive 05-22-2003 11:01 AM

Whitman Baseball Cards

Posted By: <b>Mike Marshall</b><p>Can anyone give me some info on Whitman Baseball cards? Like perhaps a "ballpark" value of a 1930 babe Ruth in comparison to a Goudey, Conlan, Wheaties or Quaker Oats?

Archive 05-22-2003 11:04 AM

Whitman Baseball Cards

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>These are stiff paper cut-outs from a '30s era game. Beware anything offered in a slab that you don't recognize, especially if it says "AAA".

Archive 05-22-2003 11:08 AM

Whitman Baseball Cards

Posted By: <b>Mike Marshall</b><p>Thanks for the response! What's wrong with "AAA"?

Archive 05-22-2003 11:44 AM

Whitman Baseball Cards

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>indicating which pictures they would like cut out, and the size. AAA (Roy Huff) then cuts out the pictures indicated, makes a label, adds a grade (usually NM-MT), puts the cut-out picture in a screw-down slab and returns it to the buyer. In most cases the "buyer" is Roy Huff, who operates as "Libertyforall" and also runs AAA. I suspect that Roy also gives his customers a briefing on how to dispose of this stuff on ebay, as virtually all auctions of AAA stuff are "private" &lt;=== this should be a warning to stay away.<BR>

Archive 05-22-2003 11:51 AM

Whitman Baseball Cards

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>In most of our opinions AAA is a total scam. When you see one of their cards in auction, don't walk,.. run the other way as fast as you can. If you see a "cutout" (aka AAA) you like, and get it for under $10, then you might be ok.....if you like cut out pieces of paper that is........good luck.....

Archive 05-22-2003 11:58 AM

Whitman Baseball Cards

Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>My advice to all beginners is as follows (most repeating Scott):<BR><BR>1) Buy a copy of either Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards (Krause Publications) or Beckett's Annual Guide. Both are huge books, around 2,000 pages. Use this as a reference. Until you become really (really) experienced, only buy cards that are listed in this guide. In other words, if it isn't in there don't buy it. As the guides are 2,000 or so pages, it's not as if you are going to be wanting of choices.<BR><BR>2) Never bid in an eBay auction that is private (identities are not listed). This means the the seller has something to hide. Considering all good sellers do not have private auctions, why would you want to bid in an auction of some who has something to hide?<BR><BR>3) Do not assume all card graders are equal, because they ain't. AAA and PRO are frauds, some are iffy, and some are reliable. To prove my point, you will find that many to most AAA and PRO eBay auctons are private.<BR><BR>4) This board is the place to ask questions, whether in general or abour specific cards. <BR>

Archive 05-23-2003 09:53 AM

Whitman Baseball Cards

Posted By: <b>Mike Marshall</b><p>People....I'm new at this and I very much appreciate the education! Thanks a lot!