Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1928 babe Ruth fro joy (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345734)

Junior5487 01-30-2024 03:29 PM

1928 babe Ruth fro joy

I was wondering if anyone knew if Beckett still grades these? I’m trying to get one authenticated and judging by old post on here Beckett was the only one but the post were from years ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Leon 02-02-2024 02:12 PM

Beckett is probably the only one right now.

In a few months, with their larger holders, CGC will also grade them.

Junior5487 02-02-2024 06:50 PM

Ok thank you for the response I’ve been trying to email them but get nothing back. The more I’ve read about it I think it might not be authentic anyways.

Junior5487 02-02-2024 06:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I don’t know if you would have an opinion on this one. Don’t mind the card sleeve it was 2 pieces tell I got something to put it in.

Leon 02-02-2024 07:35 PM

From the picture it looks like it is cut from a poster and artificially aged. No legitimate company will grade that. Sorry for the not so great news.

Junior5487 02-02-2024 08:52 PM

Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately I think I agree with you from the research I have done also. Sucks I’ve had it sitting somewhere for about 25 years and just got it out. So were these cards not originally hand cut then? I always thought they were.

Spike 02-03-2024 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junior5487 (Post 2410004)
Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately I think I agree with you from the research I have done also. Sucks I’ve had it sitting somewhere for about 25 years and just got it out. So were these cards not originally hand cut then? I always thought they were.

Original cards were factory cut, sorry to say! Cards that appear hand-cut today _should_ originate from 80s/90s replica sets printed on single sheets. At the time, I believe those printers wanted to make it clear they were reprints. Some of those were even printed in color to underscore that, since Fro-Joy's original cards always used white stock. Some who bought those sheets trimmed them later without disclosing their origin.

I've seen reprints from at least as far back as the 80s and perhaps even older versions are out there! They can look old indeed, circa 2024.

BabyRuth 02-03-2024 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a slabbed "Look Out Mr. Pitcher"

ValKehl 02-03-2024 07:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyRuth (Post 2410058)
a slabbed "Look Out Mr. Pitcher"

Very nice card, Jim. But, you may want to consider acquiring a scanner with a CCD scanning element, which will produce scans of slabbed cards that aren't blurry.

Exhibitman 02-03-2024 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2409901)
Beckett is probably the only one right now.

In a few months, with their larger holders, CGC will also grade them.

When is the Big Magnificence set to begin? I have a stack of tall boys and postcards waiting.

Leon 02-03-2024 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2410065)
When is the Big Magnificence set to begin? I have a stack of tall boys and postcards waiting.

I have been in contact with CGC in the last week. They are looking at March April. It was supposed to be late Jan. but it came and went. I guess it's a pretty big deal and isn't a super easy process. My undertsanding, not set in stone, is there will be 12 different sizes.

A lot of us have been waiting, trust me. I have quite a bit to send them. I think once they get them there will be a lot of business coming their way. Some TPG's have their heads square up their asses.

Lorewalker 02-03-2024 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 2410024)
Original cards were factory cut, sorry to say! Cards that appear hand-cut today _should_ originate from 80s/90s replica sets printed on single sheets.

This is not accurate. There are legit full sheets from 1928 that have been sold, with the mailer and the Ruth premium. Not a lot out there but there are hand cut Fro Joys which are 100% real. The best way to distinguish is with magnification and identifying the printing process that was used in the day--known as photoengraving.