Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Consignment question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344334)

pasadenaredsoxfan 12-26-2023 07:39 AM

Consignment question

Hi all,
What generally happens to cards that are listed on an auction, but do not sell?
Trying to get a sense of what is typical.
Thanks!
Brian

Snapolit1 12-26-2023 07:57 AM

Usually have a discussion with the AH to either return them or try them again in the next auction. Can't think of another option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasadenaredsoxfan (Post 2399845)
Hi all,
What generally happens to cards that are listed on an auction, but do not sell?
Trying to get a sense of what is typical.
Thanks!
Brian

swarmee 12-26-2023 08:09 AM

Most will be run until sold. PWCC used to keep them if they didn't sell, right? I know that is very uncommon. However, the company website or submission forms should explain what happens in the case an auction item doesn't sell.

The Detroit Collector 12-26-2023 08:21 AM

Depends on who is auctioning it off. Places like Probstein are probably different than places like REA. Im guessing, they will reach out to you and ask if you want it returned or included in the next auction. But it should be highlighted in the terms.

hcv123 12-26-2023 11:22 AM

Some houses....

Offer for private sale.

Musashi 12-26-2023 11:36 AM

Typically it is up to the consignor, and your options should be in your contract. Always read your contract carefully - while most collectibles auction houses will offer the option return or try again (whether by rerunning or other arrangement), it's not unusual for a general auctioneer to keep items that don't sell - but again that is not typical for AH's specializing in collectibles.

In our case, most consignors opt for re-run

pasadenaredsoxfan 12-26-2023 01:26 PM

Thanks folks, this helps my peace of mind. I saw the PWCC rules and got a little spooked. Seems like that is the exception!

Snowman 12-27-2023 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasadenaredsoxfan (Post 2399902)
Thanks folks, this helps my peace of mind. I saw the PWCC rules and got a little spooked. Seems like that is the exception!

It's probably worth pointing out that this is only for cards worth $10 or less. They don't keep high value items. If your card can't get a bid for $9.99 starting price, then they keep it as the listing fee. If it's a premiere auction and it doesn't get an opening bid of $2500 or something like that, they're not keeping your card.

Leon 12-30-2023 05:04 PM

That would be kind of harsh. I have seen all of the scenarios mentioned for items not sold, and then some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2400018)
It's probably worth pointing out that this is only for cards worth $10 or less. They don't keep high value items. If your card can't get a bid for $9.99 starting price, then they keep it as the listing fee. If it's a premiere auction and it doesn't get an opening bid of $2500 or something like that, they're not keeping your card.