Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Auction House or Ebay Consignment? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343935)

lampertb 12-15-2023 12:12 PM

Auction House or Ebay Consignment?

Need the help of some more regular consigners, please, since I have not used either of the following options for at least a decade, so unsure of current prices, etc.
I am about to receive back from SGC the following cards:

N162 Cap Anson - it's a beater, but graded SGC Authentic
T213 Coupon Cigs common player (Bridwell) SGC 3
E90-1 American Caramel Chief Bender SGC 1.5

Would you all recommend consigning via Ebay (I'm thinking about consigning with Probstein for the 1st time) or going the auction house route, such as LOTG or something else?
Please give me advice, thank you,
Richard

ValKehl 12-15-2023 12:44 PM

Richard, if these were my cards, my first choice would be Sterling Auctions. My distant second choice would be to list them myself on eBay. Hope this is helpful.

Peter_Spaeth 12-15-2023 12:47 PM

Seem like good BST no fee material.

lampertb 12-18-2023 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2397283)

This of course is what I would prefer, but I honestly just can't find that many (if any) comps for these cards. The E90 Bender, yes, I can come up with a price for that one, but I simply don't know how to price the other 2 in today's market.

bcbgcbrcb 12-18-2023 10:00 AM

I would go with AH for Anson and sell the other two yourself on either Net54 BST or eBay. If you want help coming up with a value estimate, check VCP or send me a PM and I’ll try to help you.

BobbyStrawberry 12-18-2023 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lampertb (Post 2397936)
This of course is what I would prefer, but I honestly just can't find that many (if any) comps for these cards. The E90 Bender, yes, I can come up with a price for that one, but I simply don't know how to price the other 2 in today's market.

Many list items for sale here without a price and the note "listening to offers"

JustinD 12-18-2023 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lampertb (Post 2397275)
Need the help of some more regular consigners, please, since I have not used either of the following options for at least a decade, so unsure of current prices, etc.
I am about to receive back from SGC the following cards:

N162 Cap Anson - it's a beater, but graded SGC Authentic
T213 Coupon Cigs common player (Bridwell) SGC 3
E90-1 American Caramel Chief Bender SGC 1.5

Would you all recommend consigning via Ebay (I'm thinking about consigning with Probstein for the 1st time) or going the auction house route, such as LOTG or something else?
Please give me advice, thank you,
Richard

I agree that BST is a good avenue, especially with Bridwell and Bender as these are not cards you want to be taking a fee from as they are not big (relatively) sales.

There's a clean comp for Bender that is recent so expectation would be 150 or less.

Bridwell has a Deans listing so that's not even worth considering. I would guess depending on looks maybe about 300ish in the current environment more or less. Maybe start higher and lower every 4 days until it goes.

Anson is a bit different as it's a card of wide interest. You could still do the BST and work down, you have Lee (Sterling) for a good auction format, or eBay may be a logical option as that is a card in lower condition that many vintage mid-range collectors may be interested in to affordably fill the spot. The sale price could very greatly on a given day, the most eyes will bring in that level of collector strongly.

brunswickreeves 12-18-2023 08:45 PM

I would also recommend BST for sure.

For a neighbor’s family I just facilitated nearly 20 vintage SGC graded card sales through BST and sold 1 on eBay-kicking myself for not offering that one here on Net54 as would have avoided the fees and gone into our community.

Best of luck.

Snowman 12-19-2023 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunswickreeves (Post 2398116)
I would also recommend BST for sure.

For a neighbor’s family I just facilitated nearly 20 vintage SGC graded card sales through BST and sold 1 on eBay-kicking myself for not offering that one here on Net54 as would have avoided the fees and gone into our community.

Best of luck.

Don't get me wrong, I like buying and selling on B/S/T as well, but as a seller, do you really "avoid the fees"? Because there always seems to be an expectation from the buyers that they should be able to get things at comps less any fees you otherwise would have paid. I never see people getting full comps for cards on places like the B/S/T or Instagram, Facebook, etc.

brunswickreeves 12-19-2023 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2398147)
Don't get me wrong, I like buying and selling on B/S/T as well, but as a seller, do you really "avoid the fees"? Because there always seems to be an expectation from the buyers that they should be able to get things at comps less any fees you otherwise would have paid. I never see people getting full comps for cards on places like the B/S/T or Instagram, Facebook, etc.

This can happen to a BST seller, however it depends on the negotiation. In my use case, I sold approx 20 cards (relative low grade and plentiful POPs) and exceeded $100 more than their collective average trending gross price on eBay, even factoring in shipping. Thus, saved nearly $500 in eBay fees for the family I was selling on behalf of.

raulus 12-19-2023 10:54 AM

Quote:

You make a good point, Travis. As buyers, when we know that we are saving the seller some fees, then often we want all or part of that benefit to inure to us in the form of a discount on the price.

At the same time, it’s common for both buyer and seller to be happy. Often the seller will come down on their price when we are offline, but probably still net more than they would have if the deal stayed online but with another buyer.

JustinD 12-19-2023 11:50 AM

Quote:

Is it really a full comp if the seller is getting a minimum 20% less? I consider a comp the actual money received for said item to the seller as an expectation for myself if selling.

When selling on the B/S/T I can sell at a 10% discount over eBay comps and still make a minimum 10% more than the same seller by avoiding eBay or consignment fees. Auction format differs depending on auction house, but the seller does not receive the juice so they are still doing better on true sales price.

A discounted sales price still equates to a higher sales price in essence to a seller.

Snowman 12-19-2023 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2398273)
Is it really a full comp if the seller is getting a minimum 20% less? I consider a comp the actual money received for said item to the seller as an expectation for myself if selling.

When selling on the B/S/T I can sell at a 10% discount over eBay comps and still make a minimum 10% more than the same seller by avoiding eBay or consignment fees. Auction format differs depending on auction house, but the seller does not receive the juice so they are still doing better on true sales price.

A discounted sales price still equates to a higher sales price in essence to a seller.

Where is anyone paying 20% in fees for anything? I have sold thousands of cards through just about every avenue available. I have never once paid anything remotely close to 20% in fees.

lampertb 12-20-2023 04:10 PM

Anson

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the beater, but Authentic, Anson in question if that helps.
I am assuming that an Ebay consignor like Probstein will net the highest price, per advice above...?

JustinD 12-20-2023 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2398281)
Where is anyone paying 20% in fees for anything? I have sold thousands of cards through just about every avenue available. I have never once paid anything remotely close to 20% in fees.

Well Goldin’s buyer fees are in excess of that and something selling at this level would likely incur sellers fees as well. It’s an extreme example but would a comp that shows at 22% buyer fees and 10% seller fee under 2500.00 be reasonable to match? Even eBay is less, but still fees on listing, sales tax, and possibly the buying method.

raulus 12-20-2023 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2398281)

Most auctions charge 20% for the bidder premium. But maybe you don’t count that in the fees you pay as the seller?

Or do you just always negotiate to get a piece of the BP as the consignor?

lampertb 04-18-2024 03:23 AM

Anson now on Ebay

This Anson is now listed on Ebay, item # 375377168213

RayBShotz 04-18-2024 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2397283)

This.
Set a reasonable opening bid, stipulate for 10 days and list them on Thursday.
I think you'd do quite well.
RayB