Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1909 Sweet Caporal Unopened Pack - Questions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=333529)

DonG 03-28-2023 03:23 PM

1909 Sweet Caporal Unopened Pack - Questions

2 Attachment(s)
I have an opportunity to purchase this pack for $500 but even after some research I'm not sure what could be in it.

Anyone who could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

rdwyer 03-28-2023 04:07 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the tax stamp is incorrect for pack. True T206 boxes were boxes and not paper like this one. And 10 count boxes are the ones that had T206. Not 15 count.

Pat R 03-28-2023 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure if there's a definitive answer on the 15 count Sweet Caporals. The Sweet Caporal Ledger pages show that there were T206's packed in 10 count slide and shell but not soft packs but the 20 count soft packs did have T206's packed in them.

Attachment 564963

Bridwell 03-28-2023 04:59 PM

Sweet Caporal pack

The tax stamp has some fraying around the edges. I can't help but wonder if somebody soaked off the original stamp and replaced it with a 1910 stamp to make it look more legit as a T206 pack. The wear on the corners is a little suspicious too. Just my opinion.

Ronnie73 03-28-2023 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridwell (Post 2327714)
The tax stamp has some fraying around the edges. I can't help but wonder if somebody soaked off the original stamp and replaced it with a 1910 stamp to make it look more legit as a T206 pack. The wear on the corners is a little suspicious too. Just my opinion.

I agree. Those tax stamps were collected just like postage stamps, so there is no shortage of them at all. I have a box of thousands of different stamp types, and many of the T206 period stamps, had overprints that included the actual date and the factory number. So you could tell with many of the stamps, what card types were in the pack that the stamp was once attached to.

michael3322 03-29-2023 05:08 AM

Just curious. If you buy it, will you open it, save it or resell it?

1880nonsports 03-29-2023 06:44 AM

well

without it in hand - and no idea whether someone just replaced one stamp with another or the authenticity of any of the physical elements - I believe the 15 count packages (as opposed to boxes) were an outgrowth of the "Ask Dad" campaign of 1916. A possible reason why there are no notations relative to card insertion. I have CRS and there are a few members here with way more knowledge as to dates and packs.

I have actually sold all ten packs from a carton of "15's" containing exactly the pictured pack that I bought from a country store accumulation online. Couple had similar staining. I sold them all on eBay over a 20 year period. I sold the later ones with the caveat there was really NO CHANCE of pulling a card. I didn't know initially with certainty if they contained a card or not (I never opened a pack!) and left it up to the bidders imagination. One sells the sizzle and not the steak. The last two I sold was a few years ago - believe it or not they went for over 2000.00 (think I sold the second one to an under-bidder). Both were GAI graded.
I DO NOT believe I would pay more than 25.00 for that pack. It's distressed and not a "card carrying member" of the collect a pack club :-) Just one man's opinion. The go-with items like packs seem to be getting more attention. Despite my divestiture with regard to my collection - I see that as a good thing.

no guarantees whether written or implied

edited to add the admonition that 2000.00 was absurd. Fifty dollars about right as a "somewhat related" display.

DonG 03-29-2023 10:08 AM

We would probably rip it for a special event at our shop. We're leaning towards not buying it though.

canjond 03-29-2023 10:17 AM

I think in today's market, $300 would be fair. That said - please dont rip it. It wont have anything inside!

Bridwell 03-29-2023 10:12 PM

Sweet Caporal back

I agree it is worth $300 as is. Maybe more. it's still a cool display item. I also agree it is very unlikely to contain a baseball card.