Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Closing Tonight - Love of the Game Winter Set Builder Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=331521)

Al C.risafulli 02-11-2023 06:36 AM

Closing Tonight - Love of the Game Winter Set Builder Auction

Hi All:

Just a quick note to let you know that tonight is the closing night of LOTG's Set Builder auction. Extended bidding begins at 9PM Eastern.

There's something for everyone in this auction, but I thought I'd specifically point out the excellent grouping of T206 Hall of Famers, may of which have tougher backs (the Carolina Brights Bresnahan, EPDG Jimmy Collins, SGC 6 George Davis and SGC 6.5 Clark Griffith are bargains right now).

There are also some great 1929-30 Exhibit 4-on-1s in a variety of color tones, some great Hilltop Park photos (and a host of other excellent Type 1 and 2s), and a lot of tougher type cards all the way up to the early '70s, including a huge group of affordable H801-8 Boston Stores.

And for those of you who still love ripping packs, there are a ton of modern baseball, basketball, and football boxes.

We are also putting the final touches on our Spring auction, and will be available this evening if you're considering any consignments - at this point we can only take higher-end material, but there's still room. The consignment deadline is this week!

If you're so inclined, please visit the auction at https://bid.loveofthegameauctions.com/Lots/Gallery

Thanks!
-Al

Robextend 02-13-2023 11:49 AM

I won a couple items - has anyone got their invoice yet?

x2drich2000 02-13-2023 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robextend (Post 2314050)
I won a couple items - has anyone got their invoice yet?

From Al's mass email on 2/11: "3) INVOICES WILL BE EMAILED TO WINNING BIDDERS THE NIGHT OF MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13."

Be patient, he'll get it to you.

Robextend 02-13-2023 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 2314054)
From Al's mass email on 2/11: "3) INVOICES WILL BE EMAILED TO WINNING BIDDERS THE NIGHT OF MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13."

Be patient, he'll get it to you.

Ahh, missed that email - I am patient, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything (which I did). Thanks for the info!

mawitzi 02-15-2023 12:38 PM

Question on the Banks Exhibit price

The 47-66 Exhibit Banks Portrait in PSA 6 sold for over a $1,000. I was stunned by this. Is this card a rarity? Is there some kind of variation that I don't know about? I know there are some Exhibit experts that can give me some info on this. I appreciate it.

Thanks.

raulus 02-15-2023 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawitzi (Post 2314870)
The 47-66 Exhibit Banks Portrait in PSA 6 sold for over a $1,000. I was stunned by this. Is this card a rarity? Is there some kind of variation that I don't know about? I know there are some Exhibit experts that can give me some info on this. I appreciate it.

Thanks.

I'm not seeing anything special that would justify this price. Seems more like $100 piece the rest of the time.

But maybe the centering hawks will correct me about how this one boasts perfect 50/50 dead centering all around, and is therefore a bargain at twice this price.

Barring shenanigans (not that I'm accusing anyone of shenanigans here, but we all suspect that they may occur from time to time when prices are extra nutty), it could just be a simple case of two bidders deciding that they weren't going to back down.

LEHR 02-15-2023 02:43 PM

I didn't pursue anything this time but I hope the auction did well for Al and consignors. I'd personally love to see more monthly auctions as an alternative to eBay.

nolemmings 02-15-2023 03:47 PM

Way to go Al!

A Drysdale portrait also went for more than $1K. Yogi batting $4200 and one of the portraits $3900, in PSA 7 and 8 respectively.

Those Exhibits have got to be totally driven by the registry. I know some of the subjects were only printed in one or two years, but c'mon man. Go on ebay and find a Tony Kubek dark background that looks fine but not PSA 8 nice. You'll spend $20-$40. Want the PSA 8? $4500.00. A Don Newcombe plain cap/uni version can be had for under $20, sometimes under $10. Want a PSA 6.5? How about $3300.00. The other two Newcombe variations each sold for more than $2200. Bobby Doerr 7.5 is one of one, but $3900?

Some commons (players anyway): Piersall $900 for PSA 6-- same for Roy Sievers dark background and Mickey Vernon throwing in PSA 5.5. Preacher Roe $1140 for PSA 7. Ralph Branca in PSA 8 =$1320, and Bud Daley $1080.00.

The whole auction was very educational for me and anyone wanting to learn what cards are tough and/or condition tough in the 1947-66 Exhibit set. As in TOUGH.

Lucas00 02-15-2023 03:58 PM

Just touching exhibits is nerve racking. A slightly wrong move will leave chips and damage to the corners and edges.

I assume high grade examples aren't being found anymore. And the ones that are already graded have a safety net in place.

To my knowledge they are one of the most condition sensitive sets ever created.

nolemmings 02-15-2023 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2314910)
Just touching exhibits is nerve racking. A slightly wrong move will leave chips and damage to the corners and edges.

I assume high grade examples aren't being found anymore. And the ones that are already graded have a safety net in place.

To my knowledge they are one of the most condition sensitive sets ever created.

Sorry, I have to disagree with that entirely, except I won't challenge your assumption as to the availability of high-grade examples (although it doesn't seem the pop reports necessarily bear that out either). They are made on sturdy cardstock, and are far more easily handled than many if not most pre-war sets, IMO. I could see an argument if they came out of the arcade machines with dinged corners, chipped edges, etc., but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Being borderless exposes some problems not as readily apparent on cards with borders, but not so much as to make handling them in any way nerve racking, again IMO.

Lucas00 02-15-2023 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2314915)
Sorry, I have to disagree with that entirely, except I won't challenge your assumption as to the availability of high-grade examples (although it doesn't seem the pop reports necessarily bear that out either). They are made on sturdy cardstock, and are far more easily handled than many if not most pre-war sets, IMO. I could see an argument if they came out of the arcade machines with dinged corners, chipped edges, etc., but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Being borderless exposes some problems not as readily apparent on cards with borders, but not so much as to make handling them in any way nerve racking, again IMO.

Really? That's interesting.

Maybe it had to do with how they were stored.

I had a big lot that was extremely fragile.
I put a few of them into large card savers and I don't think a single one made it inside without some minor edge damage somewhere. Just lightly pressing them in chipped the top edge of a few.

Its one of those things that if you aren't looking closely you will miss it and probably not notice.

It was infuriating.
I wonder what Adams experience is. He's The exhibit mad after all

Eric72 02-18-2023 04:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My LOTG pickups:

mrreality68 02-18-2023 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2315879)
My LOTG pickups:

Very nice

Love the Jennings

Congrats

BobbyStrawberry 02-18-2023 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2315879)
My LOTG pickups:

Great cards!

Eric72 02-18-2023 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Better Bender picture: